Friday, February 02, 2007

The Big Game

I must admit I have not been this excited about the big game since Denver played Green Bay several years ago. I think the main reason I'm looking forward to the game is I know its going to be close, and both teams I really like.

The main thing about this game is that it reminds me of a game played around the same time 21 years ago. Starring one of the team playing this weekend. That game was one of the first big games I can remember watching as a child. We didn't have a big party. I had my own chair in front of the TV and we had homemade pizza. Plus, I was able to watch one of my childhood heroes battle it out on TV.

I had everything William Perry. I had books, movies, jerseys and posters. He was one of the rocks of the sport for many years. One of the main reasons I was a young fan was because he was a defensive player. Every year we hear about quarterback and wide receivers and their record breaking stats but no defensive player is ever raised to the status of some quarterbacks. Except William Perry.

Why this relates to today is because its happening again. Nothing against Chicago's offensive players nowadays, but the biggest name on that team is a defensive player. Brian Urlacher is channeling the "Monsters of the Midway" attitude that Chicago had back in '85. He is the symbol of the Chicago team in papers and media across the country.

I'm glad to see both teams in the big game I know both teams deserve to win it. If they could leave tied I would be just as excited for both.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home