Thursday, December 14, 2006

Retro Gaming

The folks over at 1up.com have released an amazing article about some very bright members of the younger generation and their take on the games of my generation.

The article places kinds in front of some of the greatest games of my time and allows them to comment on them. While most of the comments are understandable and even expected. The really amazing thing happened when the children sat down to play the original Zelda. They told the director of the project they preferred it over Windwaker. I was amazed.

I am a person that can still remember the last time I played Pac-man, because it was not that long ago. Ask some of your friends when was the last time they played the game. You will get one of two answers. They will reply either "when I was young" or "less than six months." I am the type of person who still has his NES hooked up next to his PS2. I am the person who still has the way though the final level of Super Mario Bros. memorized. That is who I am and that is why these kids amaze me.

In all honesty though these kids do not know how good they have it. Their games have save points, they have 3-d graphics and an actual story line. I wish someone would make a game that could give me that tension that was involved back in the day of Super Mario Brothers. That feeling you get when you realize if you die again you have to start all over from the beginning. That was a tense feeling. The feeling of finally getting further than you ever have and were able to see what was around the next corner of the level. Newer games need that element, its call a replay value.

I understand that games today are longer and more involved, but why cant someone make a game that actually has to be played in one sitting. That requires the player to feel that "all or nothing" pressure. To allow newer players to understand the desperation you get when you realize you are inches from the final boss and you lost your last life. That is why people today still play these older games.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home